Tuesday 27 July 2010

Designs are everywhere

William Morris started his career as an apprentice to the architect G E Street; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Edmund_Street
Street's Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand London (Photo courtesy of wikipedia)

I recall reading somewhere that one of the first assignments that Street asked the young Morris to do was to go out and copy (in his sketchpad), the woodwork patterns of the Canterbury cathedral. Many years later Morris wrote this letter to The Times in 1877, voicing his concerns for the restoration of that very same cathedral; http://www.marxists.org/archive/morris/works/1877/cant2.htm

So over time in true Morris style I find myself seeing designs in the oddest of places. The camera may not be handy but the mobile phone can still take shots!!
A tile in a country loo

A window advertisement

Another window display

And a pattern on a window

And finally some beautiful roses from a friend's garden (and displayed in a friend's kitchen). I need to tell you all that I will not be coming to the International Quilt Festival in Houston this November. Those of you who have emailed me to say you were coming to say hello........I am so sorry but the trip has been cancelled. This trip was to coincide with the launch of my second book and was part of the enticement my publisher offered for doing a second book (so soon after the first). In these trying times of publishing, especially with the spread of "ebooks", I know this trip would have been a great expense. I am sure I will get there one day but as an observer with my beloved husband. It will be something to share with him as it will be my very first trip - not only to the USA but also to the quilt show!

7 comments:

  1. Dear Dear, what does this mean, about no Houston trip..... is there to be a book now or is it going to be "later", is this going to change the fabric release, questions, questions, questions.....you can see my email if you want to answer "private". Looking forward.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mimi,
    Sorry but can't find your email address...........but the book is still on track and due out October and the fabrics exactly the same - no changes whatsoever - just me not coming to Houston!!
    Thanks for your support X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that inspiration is everywhere. You may have seen this, but this is a virtual tour through the Vatican. The floors in the Nave and Corsini chapel make me think of quilts.

    http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_giovanni/vr_tour/index-en.html

    They would be pieced rather than applique, but with your beautiful fabrics would be stunning.

    By the way, for quilts do you use a particular brand of iron on product to stick the pieces down? The one I used was rather stiff and wondered if there is a certain brand that makes a softer finished product.

    Thanks, Karina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't those flowers just beautiful? I haven't been to the States either and would love to go one day. So very pleased to hear that there will be a second book. I had my first applique lessons since I last posted and had a bit of fun with some William Morris fabrics. If you scroll right down the post on my blog you will find the cushion displayed on our sofa. Nothing as gorgeous as your stuff but a start!
    http://luvviesmusings.blogspot.com/2010/06/spoiled-roten.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi michelle,, when you return will u please leave comment about the places you visited. next year we hope to go to cornwall where my ggggrandmother came from port issacc where doc martin is filmed but also to be able to go to some of the spots re william would be great any updates on the fabric availablity as yet.

    lorraine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so dissapointed that you won't be at the International Quilt Show in Houston. I wanted to meet you and celebrate your new book with you. I have been anxiously waiting for it and the fabric also. I am a big fan of yours and of course Wm Morris. Maybe someday. Sincerely, Margaret Foster

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love William Morris design. I have a couple of ceramic tiles that have a design similar to the one the one on the display window. I would love to incorporate even more of these design elements into my home. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x