Sunday 19 September 2010

Morris and more

I am still having trouble with internet connections but have found an internet cafe - can't download my photos on their computers so now I have 45 minutes on my little laptop -here goes!!! This is my journey from Wednesday (now it is Sunday)
It is taking an eternity to load photos so here are just a few. The first two images are of Faringdon - this is where my Morris adventure started. Sadly I had to do it on my own - Larry had a tummy upset and had been vomiting all night. We had planned to hire a car and drive to Kelmscott but I was a little nervous doing that on my own, so I caught a bus to Faringdon and then took a taxi to Kelmscott. Had the most wonderful driver - Mohammed from "Faringdon Cars" who filled me in on lots of local knowledge. He has lived here over 20 years - thankyou Mohammed - you were wonderful.

And my first look at the Manor

Photos are not permitted inside the house so I will share the peace and tranquiltity of the gardens.
A wander down the back path and on closer inspection........
Space for three??? I like to have this space in private!
The gardens are simply beautiful and so tranquil. No wonder Morris enjoyed it so much. I sat for about 20 minutes on a garden bench thinking about him as the birds sang in the background - it was a very special moment. The other 'moment' was seeing his garden trench coat - seemed so real and his presence so strong. Different to seeing the textiles and wallpapers -this was very personal.
After the house tour I walked for about 15 minutes through the village of Kelmscott and on to the churchyard and a final "hello - farewell" at his grave..................


One of several cottages May Morris built (his daughter) and a
close up of the memory sculpture to her father
The entrance to the churchyard
...and behind a bay tree
The tranquil Thames river behind the manor where Morris loved to fish

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is, "Oh, Wow!" I would love to live here (but hope there are some indoor bathrooms).

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x