Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Year Show and tell

Happy New Year to you all......I hope that 2013 is a year of good health and happy times for everyone. Thought I would start off on this first day of 2013 with some show and tell that I have been meaning to do for a while. I lost a few emails when the old computer crashed so I am sorry to those who sent me pictures that I no longer have. For now these are some more recent ones. First of all this is from Duffy who I think lives in the Netherlands. She joined me in Birmingham two years ago and did the design class. This is her own gorgeous design..... "Tribute to William" and I hope it is the beginning of many more new designs - well done Duffy and thanks for sharing.......


Angela from Queensland emailed me this photo of a stunning collection of cushions she made for her very lucky sister for her 50th birthday(this is a design that I did based on the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne). .......they certainly look divine and what a lot of work doing three - hope your sister loved them Angela........


Caroline from New Zealand won an award for her version of "Portiere".  Congratulations Caroline - I hope it brings you much pleasure hanging at home too....


Maureen from the UK (who I met recently) also sent me a picture of her beautiful "Portiere" as well. I know she enjoyed making this and it was a great thrill to meet you as well Maureen! (And Maureen also received an award for this quilt too)


Mary from the US has emailed me before and this time she has created her own design....with the help of her husband. She called it "Acanthus with a Twist" and what an exquisite quilt it is. Wow seemed to be the only words I could say when I first saw it and I still think it is WOW!! Good on you Mary and (and hubby) and thanks for letting me share your work......and congratulations on your award for it too - the quilt received 1st Place at Paducah in the large quilt section!

and detail of the border........

I have also been busy creating something for my younger brother who turned 50 a few days ago. He is an avid bike rider and I found an image of him leaning on his bike......


Below is my appliquéd interpretation which I mounted on a canvas to hang in his bike room.......yes he and his partner have 8 bikes and a room devoted to them...as you do! I was glad the photo didn't have his head in it as I think I would have found that challenging...this was enough for my creative side! 


Heavy chain stitch was perfect for the bike chain (but I do need a little practice especially with the metallic thread - note to self...'don't cut the thread too long before you stitch'!!)......



The last few days I have also been sharing 'weather reports' with friends in Canada. While we swelter in the heat they have been experiencing this......







 One of their dogs braved the cold but the other preferred it here.....and check those icicles on the house!


Thank you Penny and Paul..we have so enjoyed the photos and thanks for letting me share them with others....one day we do have to spend a white Christmas with you - it is on our wish list!

Meanwhile in our little backyard it is very warm and sunny. The garden has grown so fast in the 18 months we have been here.......I have been getting a lot of pruning practice.......





And the William Morris rose has been giving us beautiful blooms every day.........





Finally I have to share this gorgeous piece of work that I received in the mail for Christmas from Dot who joined us on one of the William Morris Tours this year. Dot applied a section of embroidery from a very fragile piece of antique silk work that she purchased. I feel so lucky to have a piece and what a beautiful way to use it. Dot shared this with me......."Pinwheels like this were often found in a lady's worktable around the 1800's. It is more for looks than use. The silk is very delicate..........and it appears to be hand embroidered with silk thread". I will treasure it Dot and thank you so much. It is on display where I sew.........



So with that said, I must get back to some of my hand stitching........I hope this note finds you celebrating the prospect of a positive New Year. Take care wherever you are xx

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful projects. Your brother is going to love his wallhanging. It is sweltering and terribley humid here in Auckland NewZealand. We have had the security door locked and have just closed the main front door and the windows and it is 10.30pm. Too hot for me to garden, but, fortunately I have plenty of stitching projects to keep me busy inside.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x