Monday 10 October 2016

Final Tour Reflections

Four posts in one day.......a record for me so I hope this final one works! Before I reach for my pillow for some much needed sleep I wanted to sum up our amazing adventures with Whitecroft Tours. Meeting Helen personally in 2010 was a great thrill and to be guest on so many tours truly amazing! But all things have to come to an end and my body is crying out for me to stop.......only another year of teaching commitments (some booked two years ago), and then I am hoping to relax and once again become a better mum, nanna and wife......and see friends more often too! Sophie gave me a little box of inspirational cards some time ago and when I turned one over this morning it said this......"We often set out to make a difference in the life of others only to discover we have made a difference to our own". I took up nursing in 1974 and for 35 years gave to the profession while quilting as a hobby. I did not seek all that has happened to me in my quilting journey and some of it has been very tough especially making decisions one doesn't want to make and making choices in life. Many have told me I've needed a manger and that I was hopeless at business but then someone else told me nurses are givers  and not receivers and don't do business very well! But choosing to join Helen in the UK for a record seven tours was always a great choice and an incredible privilege. The memories and friends that we've made will remain in our hearts forever.......so before I start boring you anymore I wanted to share some final photos of the grand hotel we stayed in at the beginning of the William and May Morris Tour.............

 the ceilings were so full of quilt designs........










So many previous participants have returned for other tours and in fact on the Beatrix Potter tour I knew everyone except two. This tour was never on my radar but because of Helen's passion for Beatrix Potter it came about and I will never, never forget this moment of embarrassment meeting the mature Beatrix Potter (as Mrs Heelis), at the book launch...........(and thanks Paul for the 'curtsy' photo!).....


 Helen and I have shared many tears over the years but special and sincere tears.....the very best!......

 And if it wasn't for all those who have travelled so far there would be no tours -  so a huge thank you to all of you that might be reading this and have joined us with either William, May or Beatrix.......your messages in the book Helen gave me on the final night last week has brought more tears and happiness..........reflections of our times together on past tours including these past few weeks........




And another fabulous final dinner which this time was bittersweet being our last. It was extra special to have friends from home join us too.........


 We love sharing gifts and Helen had one last look at the Beatrix Potter quilt I made for her.......only I've snatched it away for a few weeks at home but it will return in time for Christmas!........





 And then the most incredible gift given to me from Helen. In true Arts and Crafts style Helen commissioned someone at Hart Silversmiths in Chipping Camden to make a one off handmade silver bracelet using the border design from my Morris Magic quilt. It has not left my wrist and will one day be left to Maisie....so, so special and I will never be able to thank Helen for something so precious and beautiful...........(and I am also so pleased that I visited this workshop on one of our previous tours and saw the craftsmen at work).......

 As I take a deep breath and wipe the eyes I will finally say thankyou to all of you who have shared in our travels via the blog and sent emails and messages.......I will still be around and life will always be full of things to share - including new designs......that will never stop! Take care wherever you are and sleep well or have a great day! xx

5 comments:

  1. you need a good couple of sleeps now and relax! thank you so much for sharing your adventures I have loved following along - what a great bracelet you received!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful final day. You will no doubt miss these wonderful times but others, like the little people will take their place. Love your gorgeous quilt for Helen and your bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magical trip and final dinner. Thank you so much for sharing all the beautiful photographs and the roller coaster of emotions. Hugs, Katrina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been our pleasure to armchair travel with you, Michele. So much fun! So much beauty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have once again loved following your adventures and thank you so much for making the time to blog, despite such mammoth days. The tiles and the ceiling design are just wonderful. Love N&K xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x