Wednesday 11 October 2017

On my way home ❤️

I am sitting quietly in the hotel reception with just over an hour to wait before heading to the airport, so I have time to wrap up Symposium. I have two flights today flying from Christchurch to Brisbane and then another flight that lands very late tonight in Adelaide. I was supposed to catch up with a very dear friend this morning who lives here in Christchurch and has travelled to the UK to do the Morris tours twice (!!). But today Christchurch's weather is stormy and very wet so I phoned her to say I didn't want her driving in this torrential rain and powerful wind. While we are both sad we know we will meet again one day.......we all love you dear Elaine and I am so glad we had a hug on Friday when you came to my lecture........(such treasured photos from our time in Burford and at the William Morris Gallery).........
There are currently exhibitions and classes on in the UK celebrating the life of May Morris, but during the past two days and on the opposite side of the world we were also celebrating May Morris but in appliqué...........


 

 A May Morris exhibition is on until January 28th next year at the William Morris Gallery and there are also several other events including lectures and embroidery classes.  Last year we met historical embroidery expert Dr Lynn Hulse when she delivered an informative lecture to the Morris tour group last year.......
We also experienced May's drawings at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford and embroideries at the William Morris Gallery......






I would dearly loved to have participated in this class with Lynn as it covered the stitches that were used in these gorgeous panels (and as a bonus the classes were held in Red House where the original embroidery lives).........
But for now I will work on maybe getting Lynn to come 'down under' for classes! Some of the class girls got us organised for group photos but sadly we only managed that for the last two classes.....I always forget so thanks girls and sorry the design class members are missing.....


I have had an amazing five days but I am glad it is all over. The angina, breathlessness and terrible fatigue is something that I am trying to come to terms with but I hope removing travel and teaching from my life I can some how find a better balance. (Maybe my forgetfulness might return too!). In our classroom someone pointed out these posters and they are exactly how I like to be and live my life......that will never change. Thanks for sharing in my adventure and next chat will come from the sanctuary of home xx

4 comments:

  1. Lovely sentiments Michele, and have a good trip home. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a good trip home and I do hope you well feel better when you can take life at the pace you wish to and not what is something you have to follow for teaching. You need a break! I hope you get plenty of rest when you get home and have a safe flight - all your photos are wonderful and so nice to see the work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Safe travels Michele. It was great that you could come to Christchurch, but it's time for you to sit back and smell the roses now. I hope Larry has the house nice and tidy and the kettle on when you arrive home. It was lovely to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michele, hope you have a safe trip home and relaxed a bit. Gosh you really do have to be careful and do things at a slower pace don't you. So frustrating for you. Hoping you have a decent sleep tonight and relax.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for dropping by and sharing in my journey. And thanks especially for your lovely comments….I may not always respond (especially if there is no email address) but please know you are appreciated x